NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE: POLITICS FOR THE NEXT GENERATION

Featuring
  • Sam Tarry, Young Labour Chair
  • Laurie Penny, Guardian / New Statesman
  • Aaron Porter, NUS President
  • Noel Hatch, Compass Youth Chair
Like other under-represented groups in the places of power, young people are marginalised. In the elections, we were restricted to "youth issues". In the economy, we are treated as ideal bait for consumption.

In society we are asked to wait our turn, we are the "next generation", but next never means now.

You can argue this has always been the case, but it's only now that those in power don't just ignore young people, they boldly pretend to speak on our behalf.

It's partly why we are least likely to take part in the political structures defined by the generation that preceded them. This has created a gap which grows the conditions for more radical self-organising activism to thrive.

There's this amazing tension between young people's feeling of powerlessness towards a society we have had no say in shaping and our energy to want to take back society and reshape it into something far different.

With the crisis we face, people are crying out for a new way of doing politics. It's not that young people aren't interested in politics, it's that we see no way of being able to make change happen

Our grandparents fought for the welfare state. Our parents fought for individual rights. What is our generation fighting for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Believe me we oldies feel the same, when I was twelve I use to push leaflets through doors, I would clean up after meetings, I get all the shitty shops nobody wanted, for this I had a free membership to the Labour party.

When i was seventeen I knocked on doors told people the party line and did the jobs nobody else wanted, I was never asked once what i though about policy because I was the boy. When i was nineteen they asked me to help clean up after a meeting and I said nope thanks for the offer but it's your Labour party not mine, I will stay a member but not a lackey.

I have been in Labour 46 years man and boy I left in 2005, my grand parents were Labour my great grand parents were labour, my grand son getting ready to vote he went to a labour meeting and he went to a Tory meeting to decide which one he will join, he said he had never seen a labour party down in the dumps, six people turned up at the meeting, he is now Tory. He is the first person in my family up until 2005 not to vote Labour, except my son said he left labour in 2005 to join the Tories.

I suspect my grand Parents would have had a fit if they had seen this, then again they would have had a fit if they saw this new labour party, I will be voting Tory/ liberal at the next election which for us is next May.

labour has little or nothing to offer anymore, except a return to Thatcherism.

piese auto online said...

No, it isn t true. All must have theiy position and that is all. No old or new generations.